Southwest is currently running a sale on flights for 72 hours for dates this fall. One way flight prices will fall into either the $49, $99, $129 or $149 price ranges with the longer flights generally being more expensive. If you are looking to travel to Orlando this fall you can snag some good flight deals right now but
you’ll have to book fast – the sale only runs until Thursday at midnight.
Southwest has many, many flights to and from Orlando – they are my favorite domestic airline by a long margin due to their consumer friendly policies, lack of dumb fees and good flight availability to/from Orlando to all over the country.
A few of the reasons I love Southwest are:
- No Baggage fees for the first two checked bags per passenger (savings of $25 per person each way compared to other airlines)
- Ability to book one-way flights easily. Many other airlines will raise prices on one way flights, Southwest does not to that.
- Excellent Rapid Rewards availability and cheap flights. The points needed is based on the fare of the flights so the cheaper the flight the less points needed! Also you can book any flight using points, no need to search for award availability.
- Refundable tickets – you can get a refund in the form of a credit if you need to cancel your flight or even if the price drops after you purchase.
Southwest Flight Sale Details
- Purchase from June 3 through June 5, 2014, 11:59 p.m. for the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Travel August 25 through December 17, 2014.
- Travel valid every day excluding Fridays and Sundays. Travel to Florida or Nevada is valid Sunday through Wednesday only. Additionally, travel from Florida or Nevada is valid Tuesday through Friday only. Travel between Nevada and Florida is valid on Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.
- Blackout Dates Apply: September 1 and November 21 – December 2, 2014.
- Fares not available to/from Richmond, VA.
- Fares are available for one-way travel.
One great thing about Southwest is that if you already have a booked flight and the price was dropped during this promotion you can call them up and get a credit for the difference in price. You can then use that credit towards a future flight – you’ll never see that from any other domestic airline!
Using Southwest Rapid Rewards
Southwest’s frequent flier program, Rapid Rewards is revenue based meaning the cost of the flight in points is based on the price of the fare. This means that during fare sales the points needed for a flight drop as well!
Right now for example there is a $198 flight from Chicago Midway to Orlando round trip in October during the sale period. It would only cost 11.460 points for that same flight where on other airlines that same flight would go for 25,000 points.
Just a reminder that Chase has brought back the Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card that gives you 50,000 points after hitting the spend requirement. Those 50,000 points are good for about $700 in free airfare.
Sample Fares To/From Orlando
- To/From Orlando, FL
- To Akron-Canton, OH starting at $99 one-way
- To Austin, TX starting at $99 one-way
- To Birmingham, AL starting at $99 one-way
- To Charlotte, NC starting at $99 one-way
- To Chicago (Midway), IL starting at $99 one-way
- To Columbus, OH starting at $99 one-way
- To Dayton, OH starting at $99 one-way
- To Denver, CO starting at $149 one-way
- To Grand Rapids, MI starting at $129 one-way
- To Houston (Hobby), TX starting at $99 one-way
- To Indianapolis, IN starting at $99 one-way
- To Kansas City, MO starting at $129 one-way
- To Long Island/Islip, NY starting at $99 one-way
- To Louisville, KY starting at $99 one-way
- To Milwaukee, WI starting at $99 one-way
- To Montego Bay, JM starting at $129 one-way
- To Nashville, TN starting at $99 one-way
- To New Orleans, LA starting at $99 one-way
- To Norfolk, VA starting at $99 one-way
- To Philadelphia, PA starting at $99 one-way
- To Pittsburgh, PA starting at $99 one-way
- To Raleigh/Durham, NC starting at $99 one-way
- To Rochester, NY starting at $129 one-way
- To San Antonio, TX starting at $129 one-way
- To St. Louis, MO starting at $99 one-way